How to Fix a Vacuum Cleaner with No Suction: A Step-by-Step Guide
You’re humming happily as you vacuum the house when all of a sudden you realize the area you just went over is still as dusty as it was before. Your first thought may be to toss out your vacuum cleaner but before you do, read on. Did you know most issues in your vacuum can easily be sorted at home? Your vacuum can lose its suction due to a few common problems. Let’s explore some of the common reasons why a vacuum has no suction and some quick fixes that will make it as good as new.
Why Your Vacuum Cleaner Has No Suction
· The Filters are dirty or Clogged: Filters can get clogged up with dirt over time, especially if you don’t clean them well or replace them on time. This can cause your vacuum to lose suction.
- Your Hoses may be Clogged-Up: Your Vacuum hose can also get clogged up with dust, hairballs, or other foreign matter as you clean, this can then cause it to lose suction.
- The Motor is Faulty: Another reason why your vacuum cleanermay lose suction is because the motor is defective.
- The Dustbin is Full: A full dustbin is another reason your vacuum may lose suction and should be among the first places you check immediately if your vacuum loses suction. Especially if you don’t clean it out often.
Fixing a Vacuum Cleaner with No Suction: Step-by-Step Guide
Our step-by-step guide is here to help you troubleshoot and fix the problem behind your vacuum cleaner losing suction.
Step 1: Safety First
Always remember to keep safety first. Turn off your vacuum cleaner and unplug it from the power outlet before attempting any repairs. This will protect you from any accident that may occur as you diagnose and fix the problem.
Step 2: Check the Dustbin
An overly full dust container is a common reason why your vacuum may lose suction, depending on the type of vacuum cleaner you own, it could either have a removable dust bin or a replaceable bag. These can get filled up with dirt and debris from vacuuming, this then results in the vacuum cleaner no longer working efficiently, meaning its once powerful suction will reduce and eventually stop, once the dust container is full. Luckily this issue is fairly easy to fix, you simply need to empty the dust bin and clean it thoroughly or replace the dust bag to have your vacuum running as well as new.
Step 3: Clean or Replace the Filters
Most modern vacuum cleaners come with removable filters that if you don’t clean or replace frequently can make your vacuum lose its suction. Vacuum filters can get clogged up with dust or dirt buildup.
Depending on your vacuum model, the filter can be self-cleaning, where you just need to twist a knob and the dust will shake off the filters. The filters can also be washable, in this case, you’ll need to remove them and run them under a tap or pop them into your washer, depending on the manufacturer’s instructions. Leave them to dry completely before placing them back in your vacuum. Lastly, some filters are replaceable and will need to be replaced occasionally to maintain your vacuum’s peak performance. Always check your product manual for proper maintenance of your vacuum.
Step 4: Check the Hoses
Check if your vacuum’s hoses can be taken apart, and check for any obstructions. Clear out any debris as you go, you can use a broomstick or specialized vacuum hose attachment. You can also gently tap the hose on the floor to help force out anything that may be stuck.
Another thing to look out for is if the hose itself is damaged, check for cracks or dents that may allow air to escape when you’re using the vacuum. This can cause your vacuum cleaner not to suction as well as it should. A quick fix for a crack would be wrapping the problem area with some strong tape or you can choose to order for a hose replacement if the damage is too much.
Step 5: Check the Brush Roll
Your brush roll is found in your floor head, you may have to undo some screws to access it, refer to your product manual on how to do this. Check if the brush roll is covered in tangled hair, dirt, or fibers. This can keep your vacuum cleaner from effectively suctioning more hair or fibers.
Depending on the nature of your household; if you have pets or long-haired residents you may need to check frequently to prevent damage to your brush roll bristles. To fix this, simply cut the tangled hair or threads along the brush bar carefully, alternatively, you can wear gloves and pull the hair and fluff out with your hands before reinserting the brush roll.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Skipping Safety Steps: Always turn off and unplug your vacuum before attempting any repairs.
- Ignoring the Manufacturer's Guidelines: Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning, maintenance, and replacement of parts. You can void your warranty if you follow incorrect procedures or you might cause further damage to your vacuum.
- Forcing Parts: If a component doesn't come apart easily, don’t force it. Handle parts gently to prevent breakage.
ASPIRON® Vacuum Cleaners: Features and Benefits
ASPIRON® 1200W Lightweight Bagless Vacuum Cleaner AS-CA006
- Washable dust cup: Ideal for easy cleaning to keep your vacuum in the best condition.
- Flexible brush head: You can easily clean under your bed or the couch without moving them around.
- 5 Versatile accessories: You get specialized crevice nozzles and brushes so you can clean multiple surfaces easily.
ASPIRON® Canister Vacuum Cleaner AS-CA029
- Cleans up to 99.9% of dust: this model is designed for superior cleaning. With 1300W and 25kPa suction power, your house will sparkle and shine.
- Handy Turbo Tool for pets: This tool is ideal for pet owners, it specially cleans pet hair and dander fromyour carpet.
- Easily clean hard-to-reach areas: It has a telescopic wand and 9ft hose for easy access to high areas in your home.
- Cleaner air for better health:With a 4-stage filtration system, including an H13 HEPA filter, this vacuum traps dirt and dust while expelling clean air making it ideal for people with asthma or allergies.
ASPIRON® Portable Multipurpose Steam Cleaner AS-CA019
- Quick and Efficient Cleaning: It heats up in a matter of minutes and has a large 50oz tank, so you can enjoy a powerful and chemical-free cleaning.
- Safety Lock Setting: Your children and pets are safe thanks to this innovative function.
- Steam any surface: With 21 multifunctional attachments and accessories, you can blast out dirt and grime from every surface in your home with this powerful steam cleaner.
An ASPIRON® vacuum cleaner will last a long time, just follow the manufacturer’s instructions for regular maintenance. When you shop from us, you will enjoy safe, powerful cleaners for your whole home.